Welcome, Procurify Users!
Use this guide to make sure that your Budgets are ready for the new month/quarter/year. This article includes detailed instructions, with images, for updating your current Budgets (Importing a Planned or Scheduled Budget). You will learn how to update your budgets in bulk through the Import function in Settings (Excel CSV version).
- The following instructions are designed for Budgets set to start at a specified future date.
- If you would like to upload a new Budget into Procurify that will commence immediately after Import, review How to Import Budgets.
- This method requires inputting data into an excel spreadsheet but will take much less time to execute. Alternatively, you can learn how to update budgets manually in Procurify.
- Click the following link for simplified instructions for importing Planned or Scheduled Budgets
TABLE OF CONTENTS: BUDGET STEPS
Step 1: Downloading Existing Budget Export Data
First, what we need to do is to collect all Account Code information linked to every Department and Location. To do this
- Select SETTINGS
- Select Export Data
- Select Prepare CSV next to Budgets
- Select the Default Format from the FORMAT TYPE dropdown
- Select Export CSV to download the file.
You will see that you a CSV excel file with all budget data for your domain (view below). We will be using this data to easily schedule a new budget for your new year/month.
Step 2: Downloading the CSV File for Budget Imports
From here, you will need to download the file that will be used to import the new or updated data.
- Select SETTINGS
- Select Import data
- Select IMPORT CSV
- Option A: If you want to extend the date of an existing budget or renew a budget that is already closed select IMPORT CSV next to Budgets
- Option B: If you want to prepare future budgets so that when the current active budget closes on the end date, it automatically updates with a new budget(monthly, quarterly or yearly) select IMPORT CSV next to Planned Budgets
Whichever option you choose, you will now have 2 files: The original exported file from step 1 and the import template downloaded during step 2.
Step 3: (Option A) Uploading Budget Data for an Expired Budget
Extend the date of an existing budget or renew a budget that is already closed. (Skip this step,( and go to Step 3: Option B) if you want to create future budgets or the planned budgets CSV file)
1. First, we will need to copy the data from the data export file. Select the Location, Department, and Account Code for the budgets you want to UPDATE only and copy the data from the CSV file. View the image below as an example. (You can select ALL rows if you want to update for all budgets):
2. Open the blank CSV file downloaded during Step 2. Paste the data onto the blank CSV file. Ensure the data is pasted to the correct column. The template will have headers on Row 18 indicating the Location, Department, and Account Code. View image below to see what your template will look like after you've pasted the data
3. As you can see, Budget, Start Date/End Date, and Action on Duplicate is still blank. Here is where you can input your new information for your existing budgets/account codes! The only 3 columns that are required are START DATE, END DATE, and ACTION ON DUPLICATE. The budget amount column is not required. For the ACTION ON DUPLICATE column, we will put in the keyword UPDATE in the cell. Please view the image below as an example.
- There are other options to the ACTION ON DUPLICATE FIELD, you can also use the keyword RENEW if you want to just close the existing budget and start again right now with either a new budget or the same budget.
- You can use the function **ALL** in either account code, location, department field so that it applies to ALL of the budgets/location/department in Procurify. For example, if I enter in the template as such:
- Account Code: 4000
- Location: **ALL**
- Department: **ALL**
- What will happen is that for all LOCATIONS and DEPARTMENTS that exist in Procurify, that uses the account code 4000, will have the same budget, start date, end date.
- This will save you lots of time and effort to apply the changes all at once, rather than doing it for every line (Account code/Location/Department).
4. After that, you can save the document, and upload the file by going to SETTINGS → Import Data → and Import CSV next to Budgets. Select Browse and Upload CSV and upload the file. Ensure to click on IMPORT to upload the budget!
If successful, you will get a notification that it imported correctly. If you get an error, please review the data under the line # in excel and erase the line if that line (Location, Department, and Account Code) is no longer applicable. After changes, make sure to SAVE and re-upload.
Finally, To verify the changes that are made, go to SETTINGS→ Manage Budgets → and select the department to view the updates. That will be it for updating your budgets!
Step 3: (Option B) Upload Budget Data for a Planned or Future Budget
If you want to prepare future budgets, so that when the current active budget closes on the end date and starts again with a new budget and a new end date (monthly, quarterly, yearly), complete the following steps. The following steps overview how to create a PLANNED budget on the PLANNED BUDGET TEMPLATE so that the subdomain can prepare itself for future budgets.
1. First, bring up the exported budget data we downloaded in step 1, and copy the information Location, Department, and Account Code.
2. Below is the blank PLANNED BUDGET IMPORT template. Past the column data from the first CSV file to the blank CSV file downloaded in Step 2. Ensure to paste the data to the correct columns. Row 13 clearly states the name of each column header.
3. Now, all you need to fill in are the PLANNED BUDGET dates and the Budget amount to the CSV file, which are columns D, E, and F, or BUDGET, START DATE and END DATE. Once complete, the file will look like the following image:
- Make sure the start date does not clash with existing budgets! The import will not work and cause an error if your start date overlaps with existing, ACTIVE budgets.
- You can still use the **ALL** function on this template to apply the changes to all Locations/Departments/Account Codes and save time.
- The Start Date and End Date is flexible! You don't have to do it for exactly 1 month. The range can be quarterly, yearly, any date range you would like to set it with.
4. After that, you can save the document, and upload the file by going to SETTINGS → Import Data and selecting IMPORT CSV next to Planned Budgets. Select Browse and Upload CSV and upload the file: Ensure you select IMPORT to upload the budget!
If successful, you will get a notification that it imported correctly. If you get an error, please review the data under the line # in Excel and erase the line if that line (Location, Department, and Account Code) is no longer applicable. After changes, make sure to SAVE and re-upload.
Finally, To verify the changes that are made, go to SETTINGS→ Manage Budgets → and select the department. Click [...] button and select SCHEDULE BUDGETS. That will be it for updating your budgets!